The general objective of the conference was to bring together members of the NETSSAF consortium jointly with national and regional decision makers, sanitation professionals, practitioners and scientists to present the results of the Coordination Action and discuss future trends and directions concerning the large scale implementation of sustainable approaches of sanitation in rural and peri-urban areas in West Africa.
Topics to be addressed at the conference included:
- Situation of sanitation in West Africa.
- Achieving the MDGs related to water supply and sanitation in Africa.
- Potential technical solutions for implementation of sustainable sanitation in rural/peri-urban areas in Africa.
- West African Database of Sanitation Supply and potential technology transfer associations
- Adapted Sustainable Sanitation Management System: participatory approach of planning and implementing large scale sanitation projects.
- Strategies for effective awareness-raising campaign to engage relevant actors in the sanitation field in rural and peri-urban areas.
- Appropriated strategies of capacity building of actors for sustainable sanitation, according to local conditions of rural and peri-urban regions of West Africa.
- Future research, technology development and cooperation strategies.